Sunday, November 26, 2006

Feet are on Cruise Control: Brain Wanders

Yesterday I walked my longest training walk yet: 18 miles. So for about 4 ½ hours my feet knew their path and my brain wandered. I started out with a book on tape. Usually I’m plugged in to a mystery or some other piece of brain bubble gum to pass the time. This time I had downloaded A Treasury of Royal Scandals; a non-fiction account of old scandals among queens, kings, tsars etc.

I never really liked history class as a kid, so I’m not sure what made me think that this was going to hold my attention for hours on end but I set off walking to it. And the first 10 miles were less than high energy. So much for People magazine meets the history book.
After mile 11 it was time to switch over to something with a bit more energy- it was on to the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack. Ahhhh, much better! So I jammed out for the last 6 miles, with Jack Sparrow loud enough to drown out my screaming muscles! And finished with enough energy left to get home and collapse and watch a movie.

Not a bad walk. My brain worked on decorating the house, coordinating the move, shopping lists, stuff for my web site/business, friends, family… 4 ½ hours of stuff that flitted in and out of my mind while my feet took the rest of me through 3 towns and 2 counties.
Not a bad way to spend a beautiful Saturday afternoon.

~sjt

P.S. I’m still accepting donations for the marathon. I’m about 2/3 of the way to my goal. Donate online with the link on the right or e-mail me for mailing address for checks :) And many thanks to everyone who has gotten me 2/3 of the way!

No comments: