Saturday, March 15, 2008

Thanksgiving

I recently received news (as it was happening) that a friend was having an encounter with the police. The severity of the crime was not such that I was concerned about having to visit this friend in prison anytime soon. Nonetheless, as a result of this minor incident, I noticed something that gave me pause.

When I heard about the police questioning this friend, I did not feel an overwhelming fear that my friend was in danger. That is to say, I did not bear anxiety that my friend would be treated unfairly by the police or placed in a position where he would have to pay a bribe to fend off corrupt law enforcers. I trusted the police presence to weigh my friend's situation justly, rationally, and gracefully, and to act within the bounds provided by the government.

I thought of how many places there exist in the world where having the police show up at your door causes rightful anxiety and fear. There are so many towns and cities where the police may detain you at the will of the officer, demand a bribe, or worse. There are too many locales where having the wrong last name makes you an enemy of the police and other government officials. In some places, calling the police for help is like calling the mob to do your taxes.

So I give thanks to the Lord for the privilege of peace, such that I can trust the presence of the police to serve our common good. I praise the Lord that, for now, this part of our lives may remain reasonably free from fear. For this not so little thing, I give thanks.

Shalom,
emrys

No comments: