Saturday, November 08, 2008

Leftovers

My habit of starting new projects all the time (a consequence of my "P" Myers-Briggs type) has liabilities and benefits. One liability is that any single project often takes more time to complete than if I only did one project at a time. Another is the resultant mess.

Let's not dwell on the liabilities, though. That's so gauche.

A grand benefit of always having many projects is that spare materials from one project-in-progress are always on hand for the next new project. Let me give you an illustration.

I was commissioned to make two large frames for a pair of mirrors, composed of MDF (medium-density fibreboard). This project required that I purchase two 4x8 sheets of MDF, even though I would use less than two-thirds of each for the frames. That left me with several hunks of MDF in my storage loft.

Then Sara discovered she wanted a table in the nursery, composed of a giant Rubbermaid (TM) tub with a hard surface set upon it. But she didn't want the surface to slide around on top of the Rubbermaid (TM). So she came to me.

Five pieces of MDF later, I have whipped together a tabletop that sits on the Rubbermaid (TM) bin, snugly without sliding around. What a great use for leftovers!

To boot, I painted the tabletop in the colours of the nursery which were--you guessed it--left over from the nursery walls.

The frames you see on the floor are for pictures in the baby's room. They, too, benefited from my leftover paint.

~emrys

No comments: