Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Tyranny

Christians believe they are redeemed from sin by Jesus Christ. At Christmas, they celebrate the fact that God showed up in order to transform everything about humanity that is wrong into something better. To do so, God put on humanity, becoming "enfleshed," or incarnate. This is the miracle of Christmas.

In order to believe that we are redeemed and transformed, we must believe that we are redeemed from something, transformed from something. We are redeemed from wrongdoing, error, sin. The understanding and perception of sin are central to the Christian faith, even though as one writer put it, it is the doctrine least accepted, with the greatest evidence to prove it. And I find myself in the camp of people who would rather not believe in sin, would rather say, All people are inherently good. Then I open my eyes to experience.

There are two essential categories of sin. At root, sin is failing to give God primacy--putting something else in the place of or above God. By what we place above or before God we determine what variety of sin we have. To put something else in the place of God is called idolatry. When I give absolute primacy in my life to money, entertainment, pleasing another person like my girlfriend or spouse, or acquisition of stuff, I commit idolatry. These things, while they have roles in the cosmos, do not command my ultimate allegiance. Only Yahweh gets that. To put another thing or person in that place is to commit sin, and a sin that will have certain consequences.

The other variety of sin occurs when I place myself in the position of God. I put myself in charge of my fate, my destiny; I make myself the ultimate judge of morality or rightness; I declare that only I am fit to decide what is good, for myself and perhaps for others. This version of sin is called tyranny. And, contrary to the popular use of the term, it can take one's life in quiet, seductive fashion.

I noticed recently that in my line of work I am often called upon to help solve people's problems. They come to me asking for advice, for comment, for suggestions; sometimes this request comes with a concern about moral rightness. What is right in this situation? Would doing this be right? Would doing that be wrong? And part of my job is to help people discern answers to these questions.

And while I do so, in good conscience, I find a great temptation lurking. I find a riptide of tyranny seeking always to grasp my ankles and suck me into the tide of humanity's corruption. For in my privileged position as advisor, I find it all too easy to assume that I do know what's right in every situation. I hear stories of relationships gone awry, love spoiled, hearts broken, and anger severing bonds of friendship. I begin to think that with my objective point of view I can tell them all how to get it right, how to heal, how to be at peace again. In perceiving places of potential healing, I begin to think--and it always starts with a still small voice in the bottom of my heart--that I am the healer. If they would only listen to me, then I could solve their problems. If they would only do what I say, then everything would be all right! Don't they realize that I have an objective point of view? Why can't they see me as a wise counselor? Why don't they listen to me as a voice of truth? Why won't they respect me as--

Perhaps you can see where this is going. Tyranny. Who's in charge here? It is the question of the ages. Adam and Eve got it wrong in the garden. Cain got it wrong at the altar. Jezebel got it wrong in the throne room. We've all been getting it wrong in every generation.

The awe-full thing about tyranny, for me, is that it masquerades as concern, as love. I truly believe I can make things right--that I've got it all figured out. I really convince myself that I have an objective view of things.

But I don't. Only one person (all right, three-in-one) has that view. To assume that I have it puts me in her position. So I need to step off the throne of tyranny and give it to the Lord. But how can I give up control? How can I know that in my humble humanness there is still hope that God is working?

Because we have Christmas, when God became human. To step from the throne of deity into the seat of humanity is not to give up hope. It is to give hope to the one who left the throne of deity and joined the walk of humanity so that we might be healed.

I celebrate my deliverance from tyranny this Christmas.

~emrys

No comments: