Thursday, September 02, 2010

I Am The Huntress

I am the Huntress. Donned in my ceremonial garb, dressed by my servants, and equipped with my long-reaching spear, I enter the vast wilderness. The trees tower above, their reaching arms grasping at the sky; the earth is soft and dark below, hosting creatures large and small hidden in the folds of her cloak.

Yet all is mine. I march the path into the encircling wilds, weapon held high, until I come to the edge of the great sacred field where the sun breaks through the canopy. There, near the height of the land, from whence the timid animals have fled at my arrival, lies a watering hole. At the spring of life I take my stand, present as the mistress of all that breathes, daring with my primal scream any challenger to come forth. Afraid not of predator nor bird, nor monster of the deep, I step into the clear liquid of life, asserting my dominion over even the denizens of the sea. The water parts before me, rippling away in homage to the prowess of my courage and spear.

I emerge from the water onto land once more, calling to the air for one courageous enough to face me. Who will come to earth and test my strength? Who from the sea will rise up? Who from the land will approach? I am the ruler of all that I see, the joyful mistress of the wilds around me. Hear my cry, stronger and more terrible than the lioness! Know my voice and feel the power of my presence! I am the Huntress.

"Gwendolyn! Time to go back. I know: aren't mud puddles fun? Be careful with that stick--I don't want you to poke your eye out."

From the sacred field I return to my steep-sided fortress. A feast awaits at the hands of my servants, who tend to me with due honor and pride. Yet my presence will be known here in the wilderness, until I come again. For I am the Huntress.

2 comments:

Da Granddad said...

Very Calvin-esque, sans the tiger, of course.

Sophie Marian said...

She definitely is one tough chick. Thinking soccer play for sure, maybe lacrosse player. She'd be tough enough for rugby, but not sure I'd want her playing rugby.