Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Ready for Next Winter

The pellet shed wall has been reinforced and the raw wood painted to match the surrounding decor. With the help of a friend, I retrieved three tons of wood pellets--three pallets of fifty forty-pound bags--to stash away. (My back got a little sore, but didn't go out on me: Hallelujah!) Last summer, when I finished--or thought I had finished--the modifications to this end of our porch, we had two and a half tons stacked comfortably within it. Now we've got three tons in there, ready for October:



I wasn't sure which bag to pull out first, or whether the whole thing would collapse when I did so.


In order to spare me the anxious anticipation of collapsing the pile, the weather was gracious enough to turn cold again three days ago. The temperature in our house dropped below sixty degrees, and I have been informed that the price of propane--our secondary heat source--is sky-high. Thus, after cleaning the pellet stove for the summer (so I thought), I have loaded it with a brand new bag. Now we've got three tons minus one . . . or two . . . or maybe three bags, for next winter.


And Sara gets the credit for the pile not collapsing on me when I pulled out the first bag.


Thanks, Glenn, for the precious help moving all those pellets!


~ emrys

No comments: