Friday, June 03, 2011

Seventeen Months Later

On 18 January 2010 we started the renovation of our bedroom. We planned out what we'd need, and roughly how much it would cost. And I thought to myself, "We've got this so well organized, it won't take more than three months to finish."

The proverb has been stated in various ways, "If you want to make God laugh, make plans."

The third-to-last item on the list was replacing the baseboard trim. Here's a sample of the process (which involved more sanding and re-urethaning than I'd hoped):









Then the closet doors needed to be urethaned to match the trim. Actually, "urethaning" is the wrong verb, because I used Minwax Polycrylic. I find, however, that in casual conversation, more people know what "urethaning" is than "polycrylicking."




The last bit? Replacing the door stop on the wall behind the bedroom door. I kept forgetting to stop at the hardware store to get a new doorstop, so this step dragged on for a month. When I got to the store and looked at the new stops, I discovered that I could actually use the old one again. Waiting for Godot.



With Doorstop Godot on the wall, and all the trim finished, here's what our renovated bedroom looks like (standing-on-the-bed view):





And from next to the old closet door:








Estimated price of the project before beginning: $690.


Actual cost of all supplies (not including untold labor): $838.10.


Actual cost as percentage of estimated cost: 121%.


Hm.




At least the cost projection was better than the completion date projection. It took almost six times as long as I thought.




But now . . . it is done!




~ emrys

1 comment:

gingerwnh said...

"It always takes longer an d always costs more." Trust me, I'm years ahead of you on this one. :-}