Monday, September 04, 2006

Playing Dress Up

The spring of my senior year of college as I was on my way to growing up. With my degree secured I was headed out to find a job in job expos and interviews. It was time to step up from my jeans and sweatshirts and oversized bohemian sweaters. For my last semester of college I became my friend Kierstead’s dress up doll. She’d pull out all sorts of things give them to me to try on, I’d pick and choose and generally walk out in clothes that I wouldn’t have though of picking for myself, but weren’t to bad. I could step out of Kierstead’s a step closer to the sophisticated, “I’m grown up you should give me a job” look. And since I was still a college student, raiding my friend’s closet was the best part of dorm life- we had fun! Then I got a job in Durango, CO where the jeans and bohemian sweaters fit right in. And one of the only jobs in So. Cal where jeans and khakis fit right in. Dress up was over and Kierstead’s closet was a far far away.

So, now I’m back in New Hampshire and Kierstead had the day off of work so we went shopping. This time at the outlets instead of Kierstead’s closet. She has the ability to make me look outside the box of what I’d normally wear and look at other options. We had a great time and got a lot of laughs… like when I told her that a certain outfit wouldn’t match my Birkenstocks. Standing in the Gap Outlet, I had three things in my hand, she had an armload. I mentioned that it looked like she had found a lot of options, then she told them that they were for me to try on. It was great fun spending a day with an old friend which is what it was really about. I still don’t like shopping, but with Kierstead, it’s a fun way to pass a day. Without Kierstead… I’ll go for the dot-com shopping :)
~sjt

No comments: