Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Family & Heritage


Today my parents celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary. I’m blessed to have a rich heritage of long marriages. My paternal grandparents hit 54 years and my maternal grandparents just celebrated 59 years together. In a day and age where everything goes so fast and presses to go faster and where things are produced to be disposed, its nice to look at the rocks of age that punctuate the landscape of life. And the family that colors the garden of life.

We’re going to be moving to upstate New York in a few weeks and for the first time in a lot of moves, we don’t really know how long we’ll be there for sure, but we plan on it being an indefinitely long time. That’s kind of nice! As we move closer to family, we're looking forward to being an active part of my niece's life as she grows and spending more time with my brother, his wife, Emrys' brother and his mom.

Tonight we’ll celebrate with my parents and their friends and family. Emrys and I will be cooking and serving dinner. What’s on the Anniversary Menu you ask?

Appetizer
Parmesan Stuffed Mushroom Caps
Pesto Stuffed Cherry Tomatoes

Salad
Romaine greens topped with avocado, mandarin oranges and almond slivers with a sweet red onion dressing

Main
Bacon wrapped Filet Mignon or
Dunedin Chicken (see February archives for recipe)
Both served with fresh green beans and garlic smashed potatoes

Dessert
Molten Chocolate Cake with Homemade Vanilla Ice-cream

I’m looking forward to playing in the kitchen. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a kitchen project like this and I really enjoy it! Something therapeutic about cooking: the aromas, the work, the finished product.

~sjt

(Last weekend all the Wheat's were together - be it ever so briefly - but we have a photo to prove it.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you keep on writing in your blog. I was starting to wonder what I would do with all that free time once you'd be back in the States...
Greeeeets from karen

~Debi~ said...

I love this photo!!! Well, I would have loved it more had I at least been there to witness it!! I can still remember when your dad was 30...and I thought that was old! :) Now...I'm thinking he's younger than me!! :) Love you guys and wish I could see you all more!
Thanks for sharing your life experiences. I thoroughly enjoy them!! (I still think you should try some photography work...you both have a natural eye!)

TTYL! :)
Just me
debi