Friday, February 01, 2008

Walking for a Cure

As most of you know Our Great Adventure, unexpectedly started off with my cancer diagnosis in 2005. Since then, we've traveled through chemo, radiation, around the world and into 2 ½ years of remission.

My remission has been heavily marked with support for groups like the Leukemia, Lymphoma Society and the American Cancer Society. In thankfulness for the work that these groups do to find cures, and in response to all those who Walked before I ever got sick in order to find cures, I Walk. In 2007, I walked a marathon, by myself mostly. While a great accomplishment and something that I’m so glad that I did, 2008 is about motivating others to join in the Walk to find cures.

I am captaining a team with the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life. For those who don’t know, it is an all night event full of music and fun. On June 3, 2005 I started chemo and I also walked the Survivor Lap at the Durango Colorado Relay for Life. It was a fitting end to a rather scary day to know that there were other’s who had also Walked through that day in their life. Relay also holds a luminaria ceremony where luminaria decorated in honor or memory of those who have fought cancer are lit around the outline of the track and it’s amazing to see it and think that every bag that is lit represents someone’s loved one.

On May 9, 2008, a team of us will join over 30 other teams in Bainbridge, NY and join the Walk to find cures. I even got Emrys signed up to walk. He wasn’t up for the marathon. We invite you to support us as we Walk. Below are links to make a tax deductible donation to the American Cancer Society on behalf of either of us – or if you can’t decide you can just donate to our team. It all goes to the same place :)

Thanks in advance for your support!

Donate to Emrys
Donate to Sara
Donate to NPC Team

Sara & Emrys

No comments: