Monday, April 06, 2009

Roofing Phase I

When some dear friends came to visit from Colorado last week, I took the opportunity to educate them on how we rural upstate New Yorkers spend our spare time. I took them out to work on my treehouse. Using more of the vinyl siding donated by Larry (shop at Harpursville Farm & Garden!), we set to work finishing the roof on Phase I of the treehouse.

To give you an idea, here's a shot of me sliding the next sheet of vinyl into place. If you look closely, you'll see the tip of my tongue sticking out--this was strenuous and difficult work!

Here are Cameron and I cutting the vinyl to the precise fit required by my precision-designed frame:


Here's Ted getting ready to spot the ladder (which is going up from the treehouse floor to probably 20 feet off the ground):


Can you tell what's going on in this scene?


Because of the expert precision with which I designed my treehouse, we ended up trying to screw in pieces of the roof from the outside, with no way to get on the roof from the outside. Therefore we did a lot of reaching around, squeezing through, and leaning out in order to get in a good position to attach the roof. Here's Kara, our visiting stage set construction expert, maneuvering the drill for the next screw:


My favorite shot of the day (note the use of the tongue to help maintain balance and foster concentration):


And, at last, Phase I is complete! Here she is in all of her glory:


Thanks to Kara, Cameron, and Ted, for their creativity, precision, and good humor!
~emrys

1 comment:

Wes and Anna Kendall said...

wow ... good work going on there! my email is now: kendall7879@gmail.com

hope you and sara are doing well. Gwen is precious. Anna and I need to make a trip out your way at some point.