Friday, March 26, 2010

The Love of Family


Just about a month ago we spent a week in Arizona, hanging out with Geo and Krissy, George, David and Ginger, Judy, Andy, Michael, and Tate. I remember coming home feeling exhausted, partly because of plane trips, and partly because of flitting around to see so many people in those seven days. In spite of having to return to work to get some rest, the journey was well worth it.

I took great joy in watching my extended family love my daughter. It is such a blessing to have family that, while distant in terms of bloodlines, is very near in love for us. Sara and I do not dwell in the town of our upbringing, as happens in so many small communities, where four generations live on the same block and a family reunion is one Sunday dinner away. We have family scattered all over creation, and it takes some doing to get together. So it's all the more valuable to me that when we do get together we can enjoy each other's company.

For uncles who will get on the floor with my daughter; for aunts who sew extravagant gifts for Gwendolyn; for not-quite-related family that will still give us their time, their presence, and their love; and, of course, for grandparents: I thank God for you!

~emrys

1 comment:

Jenny said...

That. Is. Awesome. I would be thrilled with such a find!!!!!!! Your dad must have been an incredible doctor to have that close attention to detail.