Monday, April 26, 2010

Back to Phase II: At Last!

It is officially spring. I don't care what the calendar says--what matters to me is that I've been out to work on my treehouse (for the first time since March of last year--ugh!). Conner, one of the youth from the Church, had some time off school. I asked him to make the personal sacrifice of a few hours to come begin planking Phase II, and to his credit he answered the call of duty. Here he is wielding the trusty cordless drill, predrilling and screwing the first floor planks onto the second part of the treehouse:


What makes work on this phase particularly exciting is the height. The joists for this level are all more than nine feet off the ground. Only one of my ladders actually reaches all the way to the floor level. Here's a shot from the other side of the creek:


Here's the second board going on. These are true one-inch boards, about eleven inches wide, from the hemlocks that were felled last year and that I milled out on the back forty. This part of the treehouse is truly home-made.

When we had to call it quits that afternoon, we had five boards in place--enough space to stand on safely. Thanks, Conner, for helping to keep the dream alive!

~emrys

No comments: