Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dreaming

Dreams are what fuel a person's motivation, driving him on to greater accomplishments or personal betterment. A few years ago my dreams included scaling grand mountains in foreign countries, making escargot from scratch, and building multi-level treehouses in the forest.

Since the birth of my daughter, my dreams have changed a bit. Yes, those lofty aspirations still call from somewhere in the depth of my consciousness. However, the grandest hope I now have for my life is quite simple and straight forward.

I dream of getting eight uninterrupted hours of sleep.

Ironically, since I've learned the universal parental skill of surviving on fractured, sometimes shredded bits of sleep, I had forgotten about this dream until three nights ago, when Gwendolyn gave us those unbroken eight hours. We praised the Lord and saw the world through new eyes that day. Then our darling daughter gave us two more full nights of sleep. I'm not quite sure what to do with all this new energy I have!

I'm not foolish enough to expect that every night from now on will offer a solid eight hours . . . but I can dream, can't I?

~emrys

1 comment:

Da Granddad said...

To dream, perchance to sleep....