Thursday, July 29, 2010

Just Showing Up

Yesterday the New York State legislature failed again to pass a state budget for 2010-2011. The budget was due in April. The governor has put several budget proposals before the legislature, but so far the lawmakers will not approve one.

Wednesday brought a new low to our legislator's record: the House and the Senate did not even vote on the budget proposal. What kept the vote from happening? We might blame partisan politics (as if that's not redundant) as usual. However, this time we have something far more significant to notice.

Senators did not show up.

"What?" you say: "Elected legislators failed to show up to solve a problem which, among other things, has held up the payment of unemployment checks to taxpayers?"

That's right. They just didn't show up.

I consider my vacation time precious. I consider my family time precious. I intentionally avoid sacrificing either of those for the demands of my employment. However, every job has moments when events demand the sacrifice of vacation, family, and leisure time. I daresay after four months of holding up services to New Yorkers, our legislature ought to spend every moment creating and passing a budget.

And when a proposal comes down the line, they at least to show up for the assembly. If my representative can't bother him- or herself to be present for these crucial moments, I think it's time for me to get rid of that representative.

If they don't want to show up and vote on what needs to be voted on, maybe they need new jobs--jobs for which they do want to show up.

~emrys

3 comments:

Da Granddad said...

If partisan politics is redundant, what would unemployed taxpayers be? Oxymoronic?

Emrys said...

Aye . . . taxpayers ought not to be unemployed, should they? I hear that folks receiving unemployment checks still pay income tax, though. Twisted.

Margery said...

I like the colors :)A lot more thought went into picking out your colors then my living room ( I just closed my eyes and picked one out pile that I liked)