Monday, July 12, 2010

Storming the Bastille

A week ago I declared my independence from one of the greatest tyrants our present world knows. With the training of a colleague to equip me and the expertise of my wife to encourage me, I installed a new hard drive in my laptop and loaded a Linux operating system. I had become fed up with the royal machinations of an OS that demanded users conform to proprietary software. I revolted against the ten to fifteen minutes it took to boot up or shut down my computer, due to processes beyond my control. I stormed the prison of slogging background virus protection programs and freed the political prisoners of processing speed languishing therein.

I joined the liberte of open-source programs, the egalite of non-proprietary software, and the fraternite of users who want to have more control over what's going on behind the screen. I also entered the uncertain world of mob-democratic programming, in which you have to trust programmers without sue-able credentials.

I did not behead the king: I have Windows partitioned off on my hard drive, so the projects that demand Microsoft compatibility can still come to fruition. But I have entered a new world with new freedom, and new responsibility. I have yet to wade all the way into the sea of Linux lingo and knowledge. But I will get there.

La roi est mort! Vive linux!

~emrys

No comments: