Monday, June 04, 2012

Irish Roots

In order to get to my aunt's funeral last week, I required a new passport. In order to procure a passport for travel in fewer than fourteen days, one must appear in person at a federal passport issue office. The nearest (or fastest) one for us is in Philadelphia. Thus on Monday, May 21st, I took a one-day trip to Philadelphia.

After finishing business at the passport office, I had occasion to chat for a few minutes on the phone. While I did so, I wandered around the intersection of Chestnut and Front streets by the Phila waterfront, and came across a gorgeous little park introduced with this plaque:

 I have not studied to any degree the immigration patterns of the Irish or any other people group. But it appears from this memorial that Penn's Landing in Phila must have been a major point of influx for the Irish. This monument--some ten feet tall and twenty long--artfully combined what must have been a great mix of hope and despair experienced by nineteenth century immigrants to the U.S.


 Next time I have occasion to wander around downtown Phila, I look forward to giving this park a closer look.
~ emrys

No comments: