Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Memories in a Batch of Cookie Dough

Emrys is working tonight. Dinner for me is an everything-bagel and a cup of decaf. My mind goes back to college when this was a regular meal for me- except it was fully caffeinated coffee with much more sugar than I like today. My brain wanders to lecture halls, to campus.

I’m getting dishes ready for a lunch party on Sunday. The tortellini-alfredo reminds me of the folks who first introduced me to the dish in my early teens. They’re in North Carolina now, I think.

I move on to the cookie batter. Sugar cookies. I remember that I unpacked the cookie-cutters yesterday: hand-me-downs from a dear friend I worked with in Durango. I remember walking the “survivor lap” with her at the ACS Relay for Life in Durango the day I started chemo.

I watch the paddle on the Kitchen-Aid spin and I’m in the Sonlight kitchen. I’m back to farther into the summer of chemo, remember that it wasn’t that long ago that I had cancer. Sore memories surface, the scars of cancer not that far away.

So I sit here, processing my memories, my thoughts, cookie dough abandoned for now as try to calm my mind with a cup of decaf.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sara, Look what beautiful triumphs you and Emyrs have overcome and the gifts God has given you. Your illness only help let you see what God could do and how He has healed you and brought you to this beautiful home and blessed you with Past Emyrs. We continue to pray for you and know all is well. You are a BEAUTIFUL blessing to us all and give soooooooo much love, enthusiasm, life, joy and laughter to us all. Thanks for being YOU and enjoy the cookies - we can smell them in Chatsworth. Lots of loving Hugs, Diane and Tom Hunter