Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Great Cook, Bad Housekeeper

I enjoy cooking. I love chopping, combining, seeing the finished product and smelling the scents of success, tasting the bounty that comes forth from time spent. It is an art that I enjoy. I love taking a recipe and if baking, following it (almost) exactly to see how it comes out. If it is cooking, tweaking it to how I want it to be. It comes to me with little effort and is fun.

I do not enjoy housekeeping. I do not enjoy scrubbing, cleaning. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy seeing the house clean, I just don’t like the process of getting it clean. It is work for me. Laundry I don’t mind so much, especially in the summer when I can get outside to hang clothes.

So explains the neglect of the housekeeping chores in my house. I have meals prepared and stocked in the freezer while the spiders set up mansions in the corners of my house. I have vegetables picked and packed away for winter while the dust bunnies continue to grow along the baseboards and under furniture.

After vacation, I decided that I had until the end of the month to get the house clean from top to bottom. It was time to exterminate the dust bunnies and bring in tools of demolition to take out the spider-webs. Last week, I started the Top to Bottom Cleaning List. Today I finished it with a couple exceptions. (My candle workroom is still in progress and waiting for some cabinets as well as the office area where my desk is but I have until the end of the week to meet my deadline.)

Countertops are clear, floors are tidy, things are put away and the dog fur is no longer breeding in the corners. My house is clean and it feels great – now that it’s done. So to celebrate I gave into a craving that’s been hanging around for a few days – chocolate mousse :D.

I’m going to work harder to keep my house clean little by little so I don’t have to spend a whole week cleaning next time!

~sjt

1 comment:

Natalie said...

WOW! I admire your ability to follow through on the goal of the "Top to Bottom" list. I know I have my favorite "chores" that I will do first (at the expense of others). To keep my sanity, my motto is "clean enough to be healthy; dirty enough to be happy!"

Kudos to you!