Saturday, September 06, 2008

Back to School? and Other Updates

While all the kids around us are headed back to school, it seems that the pace of our life has doubled or tripled from a month ago and we don't even have kids headed for school yet! Unless Emrys counts.

Yup, that's right - Emrys is taking a Philosophy of Coaching Class. Upon volunteering to help with the local soccer team, he found out that due to NY State red tape, he has to work towards a NY Non-teachers Coaching certificate if he wants to continue working with the high school soccer program beyond this year. Which he does, and so he finds himself jumping through the necessary hoops. So as the weather turns cool his days are filled with work, soccer practices and games and class. I get to see him every once in a while... usually to eat! and I have mandated a one-night-a-week-at-home rule for this crazy fall. So far it's worked but we're only 2 weeks in.

I've managed to keep the house clean for 10 days now and have kept up with my cleaning maintenance lists- I'm proud of me! This week I spent two half days pouring candles and cranked out almost 30 lbs of candles to get ready for Greene Applefest at the end of the month and to get a couple of my retailers set up for fall.

I've also been managing the buckets of produce coming in from the garden. Right now its mostly zucchini and squash finishing up, basil & cilantro still growing like weeds and tomatos. I have LOTS of green tomatos that are slowly ripening up. From this week's pickin's the 4 lbs of tomatos are currently in the crock-pot to make this amazing looking tomato soup. There's heavy cream involved so Emrys was all about trying it! Since Hanna and Gustav have both sent rain our way for today it's wonderfully cool so I also made up a bunch of this yummy zucchini bread. I think since it is cool out and I'm more in the mood to bake today than to deal with the mess that is my candle work room I may also make this focaccia bread to go with the soup for dinner. We'll see how far my energy lasts!

Next weekend I'm headed for Manchester, NH to visit a friend from college, and YOU if you're in town, let me know! In addition to visiting friends and family, the ulterior motive for the trip is to raid this friend's closet for maternity clothes! While The Tummy isn't quite ready for the full on maternity stuff yet, it's getting there and some bigger tops will be nice!

Speaking of The Tummy and Baby Tyler, we had our 19 week ultrasound last week which means today I'm at 20 weeks and half way there!! Baby is perfectly healthy and, well, big! For 20 weeks anyway. Baby measured at about 6 inches long and 10 oz in size. I continue to fight The Kid for my appetite but manage to eat pretty healthily when it gives me the chance. I don't feel ill or morning sick or anything - just no appetite. In my world this means I have to remember to eat, which I'm not very good at. Especially if I'm home alone.

No comments: