Friday, October 24, 2008

Repeat After Me:

"I am not an electrician."

I am not an electrician.

"Emrys, you are not an electrician."

I am not an electrician.

Yet here I am, under the house, wiring a complex instrument called a "zoning control panel" in order to get our boiler, our thermostats, and our zone control valves to play well together. I may not be an electrician, but I have to fake it sometimes. Especially when having heat in the bedroom of your pregnant wife depends on dealing with something that looks like this:

when it comes in the mail. Does it look daunting to you? Scared the piss out of me.

Of course, the next step is to hook it up to a mess of pipes and valves. Did you know that I am also not a plumber? And did you know that once I disconnect the existing wires from those valves, there is no way  I can put them back in the right order if I screw this up? Do you know how dangerous it is not have have hot showers in my household? At least I got the thing mounted well enough. It ought not to fall off the wall anytime soon. Well, all right, it's not the wall: it's hanging from a floor joist. But that's good enough, right?


Note the coiling wires in the above picture. I think electrical jobs are particularly scary when they involve coiling wires. They're like serpents ready to strike.

Now I want you to know that I didn't go into this thing alone. We've tried calling service guys, but they seem never to be able to totally fix the problem, and they charge fees for coming out. I can not fix the problem myself for free. So I called up the tech support at Alpine Home Air products (the folks that sold us our new boiler and this nifty zone control panel), and David--rapidly becoming one of my favourite people in the midwest--took me through the installation step-by step.


So I spent a few hours in our cellar (a glorified crawlspace) cutting, splicing, fearing electrocution, and alternately spouting "Aha!" and words that I can't print here. At last, here's what I had:


Pretty sweet, eh? Yeah, I know you're jealous, particularly of the transformer attached to the bottom. Nearly fried myself getting that out of its previous location, I did.

Anywhoo, now I've got the zone control panel hooked up, and I'm feeling pretty proud. (And thankful that David has saved me from embarrassing blunders--like buying a new boiler and zone control panel without knowing how to use them.) The domestic hot water--very important to nuptial bliss--is even running steamy. So far so good. Then I hook up the household thermostats, which came with the house. One is an old-school dial and mercury switch that was purchased from the estate of the Flinstones. The other is a mid-80s digital thermostat that became obsolete with jeans and leg-warmers. Thinking that a 2-wire thermostat is a 2-wire thermostat, I hook them up. And nothing happens.

So I call David back (bless his electrical-engineering soul) and fear the answer he does indeed give me. My state-of-the-art zone control panel is so state-of-the-art that it only operates with a certain kind of thermostat.

I love David dearly, but I could have throttled him over the wireless phone connection just then.

$187 later . . .



Note the void where the Flinstone thermostat used to be. (Ahhh, when life was simple.)

Now we've got two thermostats that do precisely what the Flinstones models did, but with a digital display.

And Hallelujah! we have hot water, heat, and more things covered by our homeowners insurance.

I am not an electrician. But I am a homeowner--hear me roar!

Check out our sexy new zoning control panel that will keep us satisified with warm rooms and hot showers:

And kudos to David from Alpine, for his patience and persistence, wherever he is. You rock!

~emrys

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your success. Tasks like this always seem daunting especially when it is unfamiliar territory. The thrill comes from the satisfaction that you were able to accomplish something that you thought was otherwise beyond your abilities.

Patty said...

Deeply grateful that you are alive and able to write this hysterical play-by-play of your fun time with electricity and other things to which it's attached . . . and essential!

Anonymous said...

Yes keeping the wife is very important, it will make your life ( and everything she tells during labor much nicer