Monday, February 23, 2009

A Tidal Wave

Yesterday Emrys, Gwendolyn and I were on the receiving end of a tidal wave of love shown to us by our church community.  The ladies of the church organized a family dinner and baby shower to welcome Gwendolyn.  Delicious food was enjoyed and then we were showered with gifts. 

As I sat in the front of a room full of friends, gifts were handed to me to open, opened and then quickly followed by another: truly a tidal wave of gift receiving activity.  To be honest, it was quite overwhelming as I tried to show appreciation for one gift, to at least make eye-contact with the giver and mouth a “thank-you” across the function hall, another gift was poured into my lap.  Then the wave shifted as I took Gwendolyn and Emrys got to open some of the gifts.  I sat back for a minute and watched my daughter, sound asleep and oblivious to the activity, unaware of the outpouring we were receiving on her behalf.  I watched Emrys as he opened gifts and hammed it up for the middle-school girls who were taking pictures for us.  My life is so amazingly different than it was a year ago.

Today as I “dry off” a bit process the experience, I cannot begin to put into words my appreciation for the thoughtfulness of the gifts and generosity of our community.  I folded clothes that my daughter will wear in the coming year(s) and think of those whose generosity has helped fill her dresser.  I look at the hand-made gifts and think of the time invested in their art, simply to bless us.  I look at the bath stuff and think of the generous spirits who contributed to help care for Gwendolyn.  I look at the feeding items and think of the generosity that will help feed my baby girl.  I look at many blankets we’ve received from friends around the country, and I am blessed by the thoughtfulness that will keep my daughter warm and give her a soft place to play. 

I’ll write thank-you notes and try, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to truly express the fullness of the blessing I’m feeling today. 

Thank you all.  Your generosity, time, thoughtfulness and talents are truly appreciated.

~sj

1 comment:

Patty said...

Sara, this is beautifully written and expresses so well the incredibly deep appreciation you are feeling right now.

Love you and am so happy for you and Emrys! Your little one is a lucky little girl!