Thursday, July 02, 2009

Dead End

In July of 1979, the renowned physician William A. Altemeier sent a note to my dad. In that note, Altemeier thanked my dad for the photos and slides of a case of hemolytic streptococcal gangrene; he indicated that he intended to use those photos in his upcoming book on surgical infections.

I was interested in finding these photos if I could. So I went on Amazon and found this book, selling now for a whopping 38 cents (used). I guess the surgical trade has changed since 1979.

To my disappointment, I could not find any discussion of hemolytic streptococcal gangrene, or photos of such. I then found that the copyright date for the volume was 1976--perhaps I should have checked that before I bought it!

Amazon didn't have any more surgical books by Altemeier. And he died in 1983. Perhaps he did not get a chance to publish the book in which my dad's photos were to appear.

Oh, well. If anyone needs a manual on control of surgical infections, I know where to get them cheap.

~emrys

1 comment:

Jenny said...

OOH! OOH! Pick me, pick me!! What more excitement is there to be had other than infection control?