Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Remembering Grandpa

Memories are a mystery. They stay hidden in your mind under the mountains of information and then one small trigger will bring them to the forefront of your brain, rushing you back to another time and place with little or not explanation.

This morning as I was putting GBaby down for a nap, she was fussy and I was cuddling her close, my face against the top of her head. All the sudden my mind was washed with a fragrance that I immediately associated with my Grandpa. I can’t tell you what the fragrance was exactly or even in part, or how it came to rest among my daughter’s fine baby hair. What I can tell you is that I was immediately taken back to Fort Cobb, Oklahoma and memories of my Grandpa flooded my mind.

Memories of him rolling the cat up in an area rug only to watch the cat take off afterwards. Memories of chili on the stove and instant oatmeal made in the microwave. Memories of him in his easy chair just watching the activity of his children and grandchildren around him, and snoring in the same chair. Memories of playing cards as his partner and beating the pants off of everyone else. Memories of watching a good, Midwest thunderstorm, complete with penny sized hail from his front porch late one summer night.

All these memories flooded me as my daughter drifted into her nap. As I watched her I wished he and my Grandma could have met her and been here for this part of my life. But I also know that they are in a much better place. It was 15 years ago this month that my Grandpa went to heaven. But I think that maybe this morning he was keeping an eye on things in the nursery.

~sjt

1 comment:

Lionel Messi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.