Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Classical Education

After meals sometimes Gwendolyn and I enjoy a little light reading. Recently I was refreshing my exposure to one of the original works on aesthetics:


In case you didn't see it, that's Aristotle's Poetics, the first Western analysis of drama, poetry, and composition. What can I say? My daughter's refined.

Could a toddler really appreciate ancient Greek literature? I will let her face respond to your query:



Of course, every artist knows that no opus is ever perfect. There is no masterpiece that a later student cannot improve by the wisdom of passing generations. Thus even Aristotle is not immune to the constructive criticism of his modern-day readers:

(Although one might take pause because of her age, I have to say that this particular point in Aristotle's analysis may have been a little weak.)

Measure a student not by her ability to read and regurgitate; mark her by her ability to comment and critique!
~ emrys

No comments: