Tuesday, August 03, 2010

In the Beginning

I'm tired of carting tools from the garage in front of the house to the yard and garden in the back of the house. Rarely do I need those tools in the front, but I have no place to store them out back. Plus, someday I'd like to get rid of the garage we have, since it has no solid floor and therefore holds moisture like a sponge. Out of these two circumstances birthed the idea of building a garden shed in the back yard, where lawnmower, weed trimmer, rakes, et cetera could be stored out of the elements and easily accessible.

So during my two weeks of vacation this summer, I hope to erect a shed using the rough-cut lumber harvested from our property last year. As the success of any building depends on its foundation, I decided to go with 6x6 lumber for the foundation posts. Here's the first one, against which the other three will be set:

In the background at right you can see the white plastic bucket on a stake, which marks the location of the second post. One down, three to go! Stay tuned.

~ emrys

No comments: