Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Finishing the Green Room

I rarely get projects done. Wait--that sounds bad, or lazy . . . but it's true. My projects usually fall victim to Zeno's paradox: as they approach completion, the parts of the project left to do get smaller and smaller; I have less motivation to get going on these small details; so the smallest, last details take forever to finish. Since they won't take long, I figure I'll get around to them eventually.

But this week we (for I cannot take sole credit for this one) have outsmarted Zeno's tortoise and outshot his bow. We have finished the Green Room.

Let me remind you of what the Junk Room-cum-Candle Room-cum-Green Room looked like as we prepared to put new flooring in, first before painting:
Then after painting, before complete junk removal:
One of the most visually atrocious elements of the Green Room was the door. All the doors in our house seem to have been reclaimed from industrial accident sites, but this one may have been through flood, earthquake, and industrial demolition before our homebuilder repurposed it:
I, however, am blessed to have two expert door refinishers in my life. One is handy with a power belt sander, and the other is good at looking stylish while brushing away sawdust:
With floor installed, trim finished, and TV hung, we're ready for playtime, Netflix, and Pandora galore:
 Thanks to the Amalfitanos for helping us keep up the tradition of red velvet couches (we got one from the Stanleys in Pasadena):

 I hope you noticed two photos up that the doorway lacked a door. After three rounds of Polyvinyl acrylic, the industrial rescue has a shiny new surface that we hope will stay lustrous until the cockroaches are extinct.
And at last I get to declare the Green Room complete!

Well, except for replacing an end cap on one of the radiators. But that's a small thing. I'll get around to it eventually.

~emrys

2 comments:

DavidWolken said...

It's look amazing after removing a junk. I like the picture the way you share with us.

Junk Removal

Margery said...

Way to go, if I ever finished a project I think Don would have a heart attack. Um started painting the upstairs hallway for Pat's graduation, might need to finish it in time for Sarah's.