Sunday, April 08, 2012

End of an Era

While completing my degree at Fuller Theological Seminary, I served as the middle school youth leader at St. Stephen Presbyterian Church in Chatsworth, California. I learned a great deal about my own gifts for ministry and calling during those two years. For instance, I learned that while I can engage youth with gusto and joy I do not gain sustenance from the work as I do from teaching and leading adults. In spite of the fact that I am probably not called to full-time youth ministry anytime in the near future, I enjoyed the ministry there and the youth who were in my care.

Upon my departure, the other youth leader helped my kids to make a gift for me. Here it is, a velvet color-in image of Jesus praying in the garden of Gethsemane:


Stephanie, Kristina, Holly, Erik . . . not to mention Michael, Chris, Jackie, Tina, Scratch, and several others whose names escape me eight years later: Thank you!
~ emrys

No comments: