Thursday, April 26, 2012

Thank You

SprintPhoto_bcvz0n.jpgI
The white type on this hotel door key, an English phrase set off amidst a cloud of similar phrases in many other languages, reads "You're more than welcome." That's the motto of the Hyatt Regency hotel in Baltimore. I'm staying here for three nights for a work conference.

The staff of this hotel have tripped over themselves to accommodate me. Sometimes I think that I ought to expect this from a high-priced hotel set one hundred yards from the Inner Harbor. But then it occurs to me that by virtue of its place on the Inner Harbor, the Hyatt might easily slip into the belief that it can treat its clients however it wants. This staff has clearly not slipped in this regard.

When I asked the front desk clerk to confirm for me that wi-fi was free in the lobby but cost in the rooms, she said, "I'll make it free in your room." And with a few clicks of her Vaio laptop, it was so. When my small group was trying to figure out the best way to get to the other side of the harbor for supper, the concierge called us the free limo service that a local restaurant uses. The "thank you"s and "you're welcome"s have flowed freely from the staff. Although a frequent traveler to this level of accommodation (of which I am not one) might expect it as par for the course, I have been pleasantly surprised by and grateful for the courtesy.

Thank you, Hyatt Regency Baltimore!

~ emrys

No comments: