Friday, January 27, 2006

Liberating Aqua Bikes

We arrived in Wanaka on Thursday morning, walked across the street from the bus stop to the hostel, dropped our bags and set out to explore this beautiful, quiet little lakeside town. We walked two blocks down to the lakefront and one of the first things that caught my eye looked like adult sized tricycles with three HUGE wheels- maybe 4 or 5 feet in diameter and they floated on the lake. I asked Emrys what they were and “oh, they’re just paddleboats”. Well they didn’t look like any paddleboat I’d ever seen and I wanted to go play! So I used the excuse of cross-training since I’ve been doing lots of walking and not much cross-training for the half marathon- pedaling is definitely cross-training. So we found the rental desk and decided to come back in the middle of the afternoon when the sun was high and it was warm out.

Then it was off to take pictures and wander around. We found a little takeaway place boasting fish and chips so Emrys was out to give this one a shot. True to English form the fish and chips were served wrapped up in newspaper and he said they were “pretty good”. Since I’m not a fan of fish, he’s on his own in his search of the best fish and chips. I just test the chips – and mostly chips are chips.

We did a little writing, photo organizing and settling in to our home for two nights then it was off to play! We paid the fare to take the Aqua Bike out for 40 minutes- twice the general time allotment. The guy behind the desk asked if we were sure- oh yeah, we’ll be fine. Then we were instructed: “Go on out to the dock and liberate yourself an aquabike and enjoy”. So we did.

It was not only an awesome view around the lake from 80 meters off the shore but it was a good work out to boot.

Just when I was getting in to the groove, a maniacal look crosses Emrys’s face, he looks at me and says “Now pedal backwards!!” Since when has he taken such a hands on position in my training- I thought to myself, then asked him. He said he was trying to help me get a “rounded cross-training session”. Uh-huh! Don’t get me wrong, he’s been entirely supportive, asking if I need to work in training walks in our travels, going with me on the days that I don’t feel like going, etc; just never so vocally directive about it. So we pedaled backwards for a while and then Coach E directed that we pedal forward again. Then it was out around a buoy. When I responded to one of his directives with a jab to his ribs, he threatened to throw me in the cold water for entertainment value. As you can tell we had a blast!

Off to the market to replenish our food stuffs, then back to post everything to the internet while we have WIFI; lazy evening of dinner and cards at the hostel patio, chatting with a local wine merchant, and some R&R. I totally see why this is where the kiwis come for their family vacations- it’s a great little place

Friday was spent with more R&R induced by the heat- probably near 90 during the peak heat. We enjoyed paddling around out on the lake with some rented kayaks, some ice cream from a local creamery, reading, writing, getting caught up on some e-mails and groceries for the next few days as we’re told there’s not a market in Fox. So now we’re washing some clothes and headed for the grill to make dinner and tomorrow we’re off to the west coast to see some glaciers. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

K and G McNabb said...

Finally, a chance to get caught up...it sounds like you're having a blast. Wish we could be there with you!
Isn't summer (in what should be winter) awesome? Today we re-entered the cold...so sad. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Kevin Lewis said...

I don't know if I can continue reading this blog without feeling deep jealousy and resentment. Just kidding you two...it all sounds awesome. Thanks for letting me live vicariously through you.