Thursday, April 27, 2006

New Directions

My research plans have changed. After a couple of weeks working on forming a scriptural theology of preaching, I have discovered that this task is impossible given my time frame--that is, my life expectancy is only seventy-something. So I am going in another direction.

A book entitled "The Homiletic of All Believers," by one O. Wesley Allen (of Lexington Theological Seminary) has caught my attention. I read it early on in my initial research and it gave me great cause to ruminate. (Most of us could use to do a bit more ruminating, if only so that we can talk about it and say the word "ruminate" more often.) As a result, I have decided to write a review and response to this book. Perhaps it will end up in a journal somewhere someday (I entertain certain fancies), but even if not the work is proving to be good for me.

The students around me are working feverishly to finish off Masters' and PhD work; I do not take for granted my luxurious privilege of changing my topic if it doesn't work out well. Of course, if I were doing this under a mentor s/he would probably have set me straight about my earlier idea first thing. Such is independent research.

~emrys

No comments: