Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cooking & Food Inspirations

Generally, I enjoy cooking. Now, with Baby dictating things, cooking seems to be a lot more work. Before I'd be hungry for something, cook it, enjoy it game over. Now when I get hungry, I'm just hungry- and don't really care (most of the time) what's in front of me to eat. Which makes enjoying cooking very difficult. So fortunatly between the Crock Pot Blog and my friend Marge I've gotten some recent inspiration.

So this morning I got up to a rainy day. Not just scattered thunderstorms like we've had a lot of, it's rainy. And rainy days make good days to cook. So after being inspired by Marge's stuffed pepper idea, and since Frog Pond had beautiful fresh bell peppers for 5/$1, today I took 12 of them and stuffed them with italian stuffing and tossed them all (gently) in the freezer for a sunny day when I don't feel like cooking! Tomorrow will be mexican stuffing with the remaining 8 peppers.

I also realized that I had a bag of red potatoes that had been sitting in the produce basket long enough and aren't too tasty to pick up and eat as is so I cooked them all up and made half into garlic smashed potatoes and half into potato salad - both of which I will happily grab from the fridge next time Baby says "Hungry NOW!"

I've also been dehydrating fruit (a bunch of those blueberries Emrys was talking about) and peaches. I've also made fruit leather out of the yummy peaches that are fresh right now. I got a bushel of jam peaches ($3 @ Frog Pond - have I mentioned I love that place!) that made great fruit leather.

I threw some garlic BBQ chicken in the oven (yeah Sophie, that's your inspiration -all that talk of Texas BBQ!) and it's ready now so it's lunch time! Then I think a nap will be pitter-pattering with the rain drops and lulling my full tummy to a snooze.

2 comments:

Sophie Marian said...

Ok, so there is BBQ in NC, but it's very different than Texas BBQ. Some would argue not as good, others would argue better. But it still involves meat - so I can definitely point you in the direction of a good place while you're in NC (and hey, maybe I need to go too and compare the two and see which one I think is better)

Anonymous said...

I also grapped a nap yesterday it was the perfect day for one. Come to think about it I have a bag of potaoes that need cooking up to.