Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Tyler Cabin Adventure V

We received an early recommendation to seal the inside of the basement walls in order to prevent continuing water seepage. Though we did an excellent job (if I do say so myself) of water diversion outside, we nonetheless followed the recommendation to put a layer of sealer on the inside.

The weapon of choice was a product called DryLock. (No, I'm not receiving any endorsement money: buy it at your own risk.) It's a white substance which resembles latex paint on steroids. It's uber-thick; I ended up using my paint brush like a trowel and slapping it on. I gave it two or three strokes across the cement surface, then went back for another load.

Here's what it looks like after one coat is applied to the cinderblock:

And here's an "in progress" shot, with Geo's ball-capped head just visible:One day last week (I don't remember now which day), I spent the better part of the morning and afternoon in the basement putting on the DryLock. After about 30 minutes down there, I didn't mind the smell so much (latex doesn't smell that bad, does it?). However, the ventilation was not so good, since there were only two doors to the basement: one from upstairs and the other opening outside into a well-shielded gully. Not a lot of air flow.

I didn't think much about it until that evening. We were visiting my cousin, and I got this sudden, raging headache. I thought that some water and a full supper would get me through it, but I found my appetite gone; in fact, I felt sick to my stomach. Sara and Chris ended up driving me back to the log house as I battled the headache and the queasiness, with chills to boot that made my whole body shiver.

After battling the nausea for a half hour and daring my stomach with a quart of water, I lay down and the symptoms subsided as quickly as they started. I slept well and haven't had any problems since. (Except this nagging cough from the cold three weeks ago.)

It didn't dawn on me until the next day, however, that a large part of that splitting headache, stomach-turning, and chills might have come from breathing in latex fumes all day. Next time I'll use either a pair of box fans or a ventilator mask. I don't ever want to feel like that again!

~emrys

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BTDT, I suggest reading the small print on the can which of course I also didn't do the first time I used that stuff. If that doesn't work for the water you can also look to find the spots were it comes in drill a hole into the wall and place plasic tubing in the hole and the water will flow into that which you lead to a drain.