Sunday, July 13, 2008

Good News

This morning I had the pleasure of announcing to our congregation that we're expecting a child. (A child shall be born unto us in January 2009, and its name shall be . . .)

I enjoyed soaking up the joy that overflows from people when they discover that your marriage is about to usher new life into the world. News of a new life brings hope, potential brimming with expectation, images of infants grasping, dancing in our heads. They can't wait to see the new life, hold the new baby, touch the new effervescence of creation that will bubble in our household. We can't wait to tell the stories, to experience the blunders, and finally pass through the anxiety that new life brings every step of the way. It will be a great joy and, as my mother fondly puts it over and over, a great adventure.

Of course, it will be an extra joy for my mom, who has been telling me all my life that when I have kids, I'll finally go through all the things I put her through. And I'm told there's no outrunning the mother's prophecy.

I was struck by one commentator on our joyful news. They said they had been waiting for it. Waiting for us to get pregnant? I asked. Yes.

Strange, I thought. Would we have been less complete in their eyes if we had never had our own children?

Now we will not know, for now we are on the tumbling ride of parenthood: anticipating, never ready, ever wondering, just beginning to learn how to trust. La Chaim!

Shalom,
emrys

4 comments:

Leah in Chicago said...

Hooray! I saw it in Sara's Gtalk status this evening and I'm so happy for you! You'll be amazing parents!

And yes, of course people have been waiting.

We've all been waiting. tee hee.

Anonymous said...

Wow! What terrific news!! I'm so very happy for both of you!!! Love, Jeanie

Anonymous said...

How very exciting! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the great news! We have very similar news, too! We're expecting our second child February 25, 2009. :) Yay for babies!