Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Shack

The Shack is a short little novel by William P. Young. I just finished it yesterday, and quite enjoyed it. Eugene Peterson compares it to Pilgrim's Progress--though you'll have to be the judge of the adequacy of the comparison. It's an inspiring read, and certainly keeps us God-people on our toes. It's midrash for the postmodern, gen-X and millenials; William Young could be a mendicant rabbi for the twenty-first century (though with the popularity of this book, I doubt he'll be mendicant for long).

I particularly like Young's portrayal of the Trinity. he breathes fresh life into what can sometimes become an archaic, tired stereotype. I found myself resonating with much of how he describes the person and work of the Lord, and his descriptive power is poetic. And once I even found myself choked up as I read the words on the page. Now that, my friends, doesn't happen often.

I also like the transparent-but-fun-nonetheless jab at historical truth. There was a day (in the 19th century) when authors could say "I swear this is true--I heard it with my own ears" and not worry about being sued. We're no longer in that day. But the tantalizing tease that Young makes towards the old ghost-story genre I find quite attractive. Maybe it's because I believe in ghosts. At least he'll make you wonder--just a little bit--if you're really seeing all that's real in the world. And I think that's what he wants.

Want a book that will make you think about your perceptions of God and faith?
Want a story that gives you hope for the individual's journey in this crazy world?

Let me recommend The Shack. Good stuff.
~emrys

No comments: