Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Waiting for Baby

January has been spent waiting for baby.  Early signs of intense “warm-up” labor gave me hope that Baby would come early.  After all, my brothers and I were all three weeks early for my mom- it was a reasonable hope.  I clung to my hope while the air around me was filled with the voices of all the moms whose children, especially their firsts, were late.  I clung to my hope as the false – I mean “warm-up”--labor continued, all month long.

I've declared that "I'm ready" for Baby for the last 3 weeks, because I was.  Many told me I wasn't because I hadn’t dropped, because my sides hadn’t filled out, because I wasn’t “big enough”, because, because, because.  But I was ready like a chaperone after an all-night lock-in is ready to go to sleep once the kids have all gone home.  I’m ready to hold the baby in my arms, not my abs.  I’m ready to share the baby with Emrys and our friends and families.  Not just the occasional kicking spurts, but the warm little wiggly person.  I’m ready to meet this Little One and have a face and a name to the kicks and wiggles and growing belly I’ve had with me for the last 9 months.  

 Now it’s two days past the due date and we’re waiting.  Friends and family in the internet nebula pass along their tricks that made their baby come.  If it’s on the Top-10 list for getting baby to come, we’ve tried.  I’ve tried walking, cleaning, walking some more.  I’ve vetoed the spicy food option since spicy food and I don’t get along well to start with.  My to-do list is cleared, my project list a semi-clean slate.  The crib is in place, the bags are in the back of the car and there’s a snowstorm predicted for tonight into tomorrow. 

 So I pick up my latest for-fun crochet project (which is turning out really, really cool and will be blogged after it’s gifted), sit back and wait.   I already went out in the freezing cold morning and walked around the track that the snowmobiles have made at General Clinton Park in Bainbridge, then walked all over the grocery store since it’s not one where I’m a regular.   And tomorrow, I may walk in the fresh snow, if we’re still waiting…

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Inclement weather may not have made the top-10 lists you were looking at, but Wheat babies like to arrive amid exciting weather. I think that Josh came with tornadoes and Reese and Hudson both insisted on waiting for snowstorms.

I'll take early Thursday, 1/29/09 in the pool...

Jenny said...

Take it from a neonatal nurse: nothing induces labor quite like a storm front!

hannah said...

still waiting! i have been thinking of you. :) --hannah w

Patty said...

Thinking about you, praying for you --

This little one will come soon, honest!

Anonymous said...

As much as it doesn't feel like it right know there are two facts in life. 1. a human has never been pregent forever and 2. All childern are potty trained before College. Ok after the last week that last one applies to my life.

Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for the baby too. I have been praying for you. Love. Thanh