Thursday, August 20, 2009

Butts on Ice

In June the alpine heights of Colorado mountians still host broad bands of snow on their northern slopes. During our time with the Sonlight campers, I went on a hike to Alberta Peak. On the way down, some of our more intrepid girls discovered this opportunity:

And they decided to engage in the time-honored tradition of glissading. To glissade is to wrap a waterproof piece of attire around the waist and under the buttocks (usually a parka or poncho--garbage bags did it for us in a pinch) and slide down the packed snow. Here's one of the ladies getting ready to sled on her derriere to the bottom of this patch of snow (about sixty yards downhill):


But why go alone? Why not make it a team sport?

I know you're wondering: Yes, I did it too. How could I resist?

Let me tell you: garbage bags make great sleds. Who knew? What I didn't count on was how hard the snow was and how many bumps there would be. My tailbone still aches from the three rides I took. But it was worth it.

After all, how many of us can say we've glissaded? And how many of those know how to pronounce it?

~emrys

1 comment:

Patty said...

Looks like GREAT fun -- and probably word the bumped rump!