Saturday, August 01, 2009

Future Footboard

After completing Headboard 2.0 for our bed, I decided I liked the overall product, but had a few minor things to tweak in the process and design. What's more, no bed is really complete without a footboard. So I've begun the production of a footboard, to be completed as early as autumn 2010 and as late as when I retire from ministry.

The wood for posts, crossbars, and spindles will come from a pear tree that had to come down on our property, and from an oak tree that our dear friends Sharon and Jay donated to the cause. Here are the rough beginnings, starting with the limbs of the pear tree:

Here's the outdoor workshop where the limbs get pared down to usable sizes:

And here's the stack of oak branches cut and ready to go into the second floor of our garage. There the temperature gets high enough that they will dry in a season. Then I'll cull the cracked pieces, shave off the bark, and tool them for the footboard:


Sara says I'll need to make a toddler bed once I've done the footboard. Oy! One project at a time!

~ emrys

1 comment:

midge said...

Better make that a twin not a toddler, that will give you a little more time.