Thursday, August 13, 2009

Strange Finds

Still only halfway through the first box of stuff from my dad's estate, I find strange things that bring back specific memories and remind me of the uniquities of my family life. The following photo is of a dissection kit, including one-hundred-percent solid metal scalpels, probes, and forceps, all in a felt-lined snap case:

As the son of an old-school physician (who used still to do house-calls) we had several of these lying around the house, and when it came time for Mr. Checcini's biology class or Mrs. Polentes' human anatomy and physiology class, they went to school to do their duty. Hence the cloth medical tape bearing the bold moniker, "TYLER," written in my dad's hand with one of his ubiquitous black felt-tip pens, designed to prevent any classmate from taking home the wrong kit.

Sigh. Those were the days, when excitement came with the dissection of a shaved and embalmed cat.

~emrys

No comments: